Saturday, May 10, 2014

3 Idiots [Movie Review]


This is a 2009 movie but I've just heard of it a few days ago from my boyfriend. Hmm.. how should I start?

Disclaimer: This blogger is nowhere near a real/pro movie review writer so don't expect much. She rarely posts comments about movies but she feels it's a crime not to do so this time.  

Let me just share an overview from Wikipedia 

3 Idiots (Hindi: ३ इडियट्स ) is a 2009 Indian coming-of-age comedy-drama film directed by Rajkumar Hirani, with a screenplay by Abhijat Joshi, and produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra. It was loosely adapted from the novel Five Point Someone by Chetan Bhagat. The film stars Aamir Khan,Kareena Kapoor, R. Madhavan, Sharman Joshi, Omi Vaidya, Parikshit Sahni and Boman Irani. 3 Idiots went on to become the highest-grossing Bollywood film.

Upon release, the film broke all opening box office records in India. It was the highest-grossing film in its opening weekend in India and had the highest opening day collections for a Bollywood film. It also held the record for highest net collections in the first week for a Bollywood film. It also became one of the few Indian films to become a major success in East Asian markets such as China, eventually bringing its overseas total to more than US$ 25 million—the highest-grossing Bollywood film of all time in overseas markets, before being overtaken by Dhoom 3. It was expected to be the first Indian film to be officially released on YouTube, within 12 weeks of releasing in theatres on 25 March 2010, but finally got officially released on YouTube in May 2012. The film also went on to win many awards, winning six Filmfare Awards including best film and best director, ten Star Screen Awards and sixteen IIFA awards.

****

I've just finished watching this movie a few hours ago and I think I still have a hangover. I laughed. I cried. I cringed. I'm now also so infatuated with the lead actor. He looks so much like Jude Law. His gestures and facial expressions. It's not the main reason though why I fell in love with it. Let me just enumerate some

(in no particular order) 

1. THE PLOT - The movie tells us about the errors in the educational system, the struggles of university students to keep up with the rat race, lesson about a professor's pride, the beauty about going against the bandwagon 

2. AAMIR KHAN - Yes. The lead actor. I may be biased but I really like his portrayal of 'Rancho'. I find him really cute but aside from that, he has this unique way of expressing so much emotion without even uttering a word. He could do it through his eyes and forehead alone. He didn't bank so much on his looks. He would hold the viewers' attention through his gaze and expressions and I find it quite rare from actors of this generation.    

3. CULTURAL INFO - I've learned about the caste system, marriage traditions in India, the ductaional system (like top rank students are seated in front/beside the school director) and etc. and found it a  bit daunting but quite fascinating 

4. THE MORAL LESSON - It's becoming more and more the theme in some movies today-about going after your dreams even if it's against the convention. But there's no better way of expressing or communicating it to the audience than how the movie did to me.    


I would actually like to tell you more about it but I'll let you decide for yourself so GO watch the movie. Be enamored. Let me know and let's talk about it some time. :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mga sumabay sa aking byahe