Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To Give or Not to Give.


Have you experienced soundly sitting inside a bus then suddenly a little girl or boy put an envelop on your lap?

Yeah. I had that experience numerous times already. Usually passengers would refuse to take the envelop but their strategy is to just put it in your lap so that yo wouldn't have any chance to say NO or refuse. 


The envelop usually reads "Paumanhin po. Hihingi lang po kami ng tulong para sa aming pag-aaral."

In this situation, I usually take a look at the kid/person and ponder on it. Sometimes I'd give coins but more often than not, I don't. Why? It's not that I'm cold & heartless. I know how it is to starve, and go to school without any baon. It's the 'kalakaran' here in Manila that usually forces me to refuse charity. I see on TV how some kids, & elders are exploited for this kind of syndicate. I know that there is also a possibility that they are sincere. They must be really starving or their relative might really be dying. But hey I just don't want those syndicates to proliferate. Or am I just looking for an excuse?

4 years ago, when I was just new here in Manila, I saw this crippled man in one of the overpasses in Sucat ParaƱaque and I gave him money. Then after a few hours, when I passed by the area again I saw him smoking a cigarette. I felt like I condoned his vice and I felt very bad. 

So can you blame me if I've turned this way? 


Photo credit: HERE




photo credit: HERE . 


So if a little kid does this gesture: 



Will you let your cynicism or compassion override you?



12 comments:

  1. I'm don't know if this makes me a cold-hearted person but I feel cynical when I see people asking for alms. Some have real needs, but some make a living out of it instead of finding other decent means to earn money. An example was when I was in the mall and a lady approached me asking for money so she could go home to the province. But she was at the mall everyday doing just that for months. :|

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. If we continue to 'patronize' them...they'll just be lazy to look for other decent sources of income.

    And that things about that lady..I see a lot of those here in Manila. They say they're from Cavite, Bulacan who got lost or got robbed. A colleague shared that she gave the lady 20 pesos but asked for more. Sabi ba naman "Pwede ho ba dagdagan niyo na?" My god!

    I don't thin k you're being cold-hearted Ms. Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grabe humingi pa siya ng dagdag. :o Meron ngang street kids, pag di mo binigyan sasabihan ka pa ng madamot. Wow lang. Anyway, you can just call me Helen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahahahha grabe.

    thanks for the comments Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the beggar is very able (like teenagers/middle-aged)..I choose cynicism! Bakit hindi sila mag-trabaho? Hate ko lalo yung ginagamit ang mga anak or babies nila sa panlilimos. When I get the "envelope style", usually pinapatong ko lang yung envelope sa vacant space beside me (usually sa jeep). Hehe. I don't want to tolerate them... I think the more you give, the more they'll stay that way. Meron din nga yung mga biglang nampupunas ng shoes / paa sa jeep. Nakakagulat tlaga...the more na hindi ako nagbibigay. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I take the bus from Pampanga to Makati and most of the time I encounter those people who ask for money to support their education. I don't give them. I am not being selfish or what but I pity more those old who beg for food on the street. Those are the ones I help but I don't give money. I give them biscuits or sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean. I'm always torn when it comes to these kids, too. That's why, like MariaKristela, I prefer to give them food instead.

    http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen and always saw circumstances like that. I don't give money to those who are leaving envelops on my lap when I'm on a jeep. But when a child asked me for food while they saw me eating, I'd give it to them.

    You are right most of them are victims, earning a life for those who are lazy to do the job. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Have you seen a TED talk about Generosity Experiment? http://www.ted.com/talks/sasha_dichter.html

    He talks about how for a while he started to just say yes to anyone because he was realizing he lost the feeling of truly wanting to just give to people. So for a while, he gave money to beggars because it made him feel like he made a difference. At the end of the experiment he felt changed like he was more grateful and giving.

    But I think it is ultimately a personal decision too. It is very hard to decide. I just try to help when I can, it may not be the smartest thing but I tried to help.

    This is a great post! Very thought provoking.

    <33
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, yeah i have experienced it too, but really, i just can't take their looks asking for food and money, it makes my heart sad :( the government should really look at them and give action :)

    wild and fierce

    don't miss my smexy giveaway! it's my first time :)

    model's own lipstick giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the shots are really great... juts blogwalking here...and with regards to those kids on the street asking for alms, gov't should gather them somewhere like an orphanage, para hindi sagabal sa daan at para iba na lang ang pagkakakitaan ng mga sindikato... we're not really helping those children if we give them money... we are just encouraging more kids to beg for alms in the street...sana naman pagtuonan sila ng pansin ng gobyerno naten....huhuhu...anu ba yan..napahaba ang kowment ko... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. the shots are really great... juts blogwalking here...and with regards to those kids on the street asking for alms, gov't should gather them somewhere like an orphanage, para hindi sagabal sa daan at para iba na lang ang pagkakakitaan ng mga sindikato... we're not really helping those children if we give them money... we are just encouraging more kids to beg for alms in the street...sana naman pagtuonan sila ng pansin ng gobyerno naten....huhuhu...anu ba yan..napahaba ang kowment ko... ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Mga sumabay sa aking byahe