Thursday, January 21, 2010

Daydreaming --- Intelligence



Just recently I've been making it a habit to read articles in Psychology Today to update myself of the current finidings in the field. As you know I am a BS Psychology major. I don't do it just for the reason that I should but also because I want -- really.

I found an article saying that those who daydream a lot are found to be of superior intelligence. hahahah And at last although I'm not yet really covinced, there is a chance that I can be one of them.

I so love to daydream. I think it's one of my vice that keeps me sane from this chaotic world.


My nonscientific translation of this: while daydreaming, your thoughts are
gliding and ricocheting all over the place--past, present, future--accessing all
your stored knowledge, memories, experiences, etc. What the study seems to be
saying is that these connections--the ricocheting thoughts if you will--appear
to be stronger in smarter people. Maybe that's why they can get more out of
their daydreaming states of mind. They can dig deeper. This seems to fit nicely
with other studies that say that people who can go deeper into daydreaming
states are more likely to come away with worthwhile insights.


Many brilliant individuals--from Einstein to Mozart--credit their imagination as
the source of their creativity and genius. Einstein often compared his creative
process to that of poets and musicians, describing his insights as "a sudden
rapture." He famously said: "When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I
come close to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than
my talent for absorbing positive knowledge."

I think that might be the reason why although I don't study that much I could find myself familiarized with a lot of topics. I try to use them in my imagination unconsciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mga sumabay sa aking byahe