Friday, January 15, 2010

.how to ace your college classes.


As a working student I find it really hard to focus on my some of my subjects.especially when it is a bit unrelated to the course. I find myself memorizing futilely. time, energy & efforts wasted. So I've been really trying my best to focus although my eyes are already heavily lidded... from insufficient sleep. (just like what happened a while ago) you know I really wanna learn..but my body limits me. that's really sad right? I have the determination, drive & good intentions but I have to compromise them to provide for my own keep...ANyway --- why am I getting so sentimental again about this thing. This desrves it's own post.

what I want to really emphasize is the helpful tips I read from Psychology Today website about effective learning. Here they are:

Here are a few ways you can use this concept in the classroom:

By: Joseph Cardillo - ( the author of Can I Have Your Attention? How to Think Fast, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Concentration )



1. Listen actively; making connections to other contexts and
within that day’s material—i.e. perhaps a story by John Steinbeck contains
themes that can be applied to something you are learning about Carl Jung or
Joseph Campbell. Or something you are learning in physics or biology could be
applied, for example, to Virginia Woolf or a philosophy class. If your professor
mentions a text that is related to the topic, seek it out; witness the
connections, and draw your own. You may even bring these observations up in a
future class or individually with your teacher.

2. Restrict your
mind from wondering
. Keep participating no matter what. Just like when
your coach is telling you, “Don’t stop now—pour it on. “ Create words or phrases
you can think to yourself during such moments like: stay with it; strong; focus;
create a mental image of a goal you have in mind that is connected to that
course’s context and use it during such moments to guide you back on task.
Practice using these techniques regularly and they will become automatic. Do,
however, give yourself a breath every now and then and lighten your focus.

3. Identify your professor’s goal—if he or she doesn’t
state it outright. Ask yourself: What is the professor’s role in meeting this
goal? What role does my teacher expect me to take on? Make sure you meet this
goal.

4. Think of ways to relate the class’s contexts
as closely as possible to your personal experiences, especially important ones.
Outside of class, think about how the material can be used to help deepen your
understanding of other personal life situations, problem-solve, and enhance your
own life.

5. Daydream, incorporating what you are
learning so that it scaffolds into your future.

It’s up to you to make
the strongest connections here possible. You will notice that when you make
strong matches between class materials and daily life not only will your
academic interests perk, time will move much faster, and studies, in general,
will become a lot more enjoyable. Your mind will become more creative, and thus
more energized, interesting, and complex. And just like runners high, these
characteristics feel good both mentally and physically. As such, you feel
rewarded. And this pattern of activity will begin to feed upon itself. Grades
will come easier. You will feel more secure, confident, and happy. The best news
is that you will start transferring this mindset over to other areas of your
life, deepening the connections there as well.



I found these really applicable in my studies so want to share this to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mga sumabay sa aking byahe